This is the second yoink I am pulling and again, my unsuspecting victim is the same as in A case of the yoinks, but again, I am without remorse as Abhainn confesses his yoinking from Kelden Mercury’s blog who in turn nabbed it from Vele’s Adventures In Witchery
1. Do you use runes as a written language?
I admit to have dabbled with Ogham runes, but currently I have become too pragmatic to adorn any of my writing with it. But if I do come across it, my admiration goes out to the author. I still have my first staff I made, it does sport a few 🙂
2. Do you feel you have natural gifts such as (premonitions, hearing spirits) and if so do you think this is what led you to this path?
I do travel a realm where time is non-linear and I “see” things. I don’t like to advertise it, but use it mostly to keep my own council.
3. What deity do you work with if any and why?
I’m on good speaking terms with quite a few from different cultures, but I have one that I can turn to as an old friend: Enki. I was introduced when I was about 10 years old, only later learned of the Sumerian origin
4. Have you always worked with this same deity?
Enki keeps popping up at times. I think he likes to disguise himself as Cern and quite a few others, but it is that particular presence that always gives him away 🙂
5. Do you use any personal items in your practice, (blood, semen, tears, urine, etc)?
Life’s breath is quite powerful in some spells, but there are a few items kicking around that have my hair. I used to have long hair and when I decided to cut it, I saved a big fat ponytail to have a good supply if ever needed. Saliva on occasion with certain siptu rituals
6. Do you do past life readings or have ever had one done; who where you or how did you die?
I have travelled through some. I tend to leave other people’s past lives alone, but I sometimes recognise people who I have “met” before. I wasn’t anybody famous, but I think it is noteworthy I had male and female experiences.
7. What is your favorite magical tool?
a mirror for sure, but a shiny piece of obsidian or even a glass of water will do.
8. What is a song or type of music that gets you into a Witchy mood?
Drumming nowadays, but I used to play didgeridoo which would take me right off the planet. Sometimes I sing. Don’t ask me what language, no idea! 🙂
9. Where is the most magical place you have ever been?
Mojave desert. There was Peyote involved…
10. What animal is your familiar if any?
Rats, currently none in this world, but quite a few in the spiritual realm. I have rescued more then 80 pet rats (rehomed most of them to loving new homes) and kept 29 of them because they were too old, sick or “damaged”. Some really remarkable personalities, even a few “healers”
11. If you have a familiar, did you choose them or did they choose you?
Fear chose them. I used to be terrified of rats, so in order to deal with the fear I got a pet rat.
12. What in the Craft are you best at (tarot, spells, ritual,) etc?
Casual -on the fly- magic with just things I have in my pocket or what is readily available.
13. What in the Craft would you say you are weaker at?
Respect for “elders”. Just because someone got onto a bus with 30 other people 50 years ago and got a mass initiation by Alex Sanders in a dank hotel room doesn’t automatically make one an elder of the craft
14. What is your most favorite part of your Craft (spell writing, divination, etc)?
Figuring out how to do things on the fly, simplifying things by understanding the principles they are based on. The best magic is the kind you can pull without anyone noticing you are doing it.
15. What was the first tool you ever purchased?
A clear crystal, I still have it
16. What was your first homemade tool for your practice?
A staff adorned with a dogs skull (found the skull when digging in my garden) Also still have it 🙂
17. What are your feelings on raising kids in the Craft?
Children should be children, they have their own magic that they should be allowed to follow. I was baptised Catholic as a child. Something I would have never opted to do as an adult as I have no connection to Abrahamic religions. Luckily it just stayed with the baptism and I was free to develop my own spirituality and I thank the gods not having been forced into communion. I think any ritual initiation is adult business or at least to be an informed decision by a mind that is developed enough to be able to make that decision
18. If you were a goddess or god, who would you be?
No… Just no….
19. Do you use astrology in your practice? In what ways?
I made quite a study of it in my younger years, drawing natal charts, etc. I retained some knowledge that I sometimes use to see if the celestial formations are favourable to do a certain ritual. But even if it isn’t, it doesn’t stop me (I might just put a bit more “oomph” in it)
20. What if any ways could you practice dark magic and still respect the beliefs of Wicca?
To bring light to the world one must travel the darkest places, else what point is it to hold a candle to the sun? What is dark, what is light? The method, the intention or the effect? One is defined by ones actions, what do you chose to be?
21. Do you have any Witches in your family?
My grandmother was a bit witchy, like granny Weatherwax 🙂
22. What item can you not Witch without?
My heart beat
23. What is your favourite Sabbat or time of year ritual?
Halloween; the only time of the year you get away with scaring the hell out of children 🙂
24. Have you ever had a YouTube burn out?
Nope… after 10 minutes I get bored and go do something creative
25. What is your fav Witchy shop, and do they have an online store?
I prefer yard or car boot sales? It’s a bit of a lucky dip because you don’t know what to find and that is half the joy in it.
26. When buying Witchy items, do they choose you or do you choose them?
I’m choosing to opening up my senses for anything that may connect to me. There is no “neutral” in attraction.
27. How do you organize your herbs/ingredients?
I look at of the window and see what happens to grow.
28. Do you have interest in other deities that you don’t work with; if so, which ones?
I’m not even halfway this thing and you ask me this? Name a god or goddess I never heard of and I want to know!
29. Do you have a fav time of day to do spell work; if so, why?
Whenever the situation calls for one
30. Are you solitary or do you work with a coven?
Both. I like doing traditional stuff but I also like to push the boundaries beyond the downtrodden path and sometimes you go alone.
31. If you could pick a certain Witchcraft tradition that fits your practice most what would it be (Druid, Celtic, Wicca etc)?
Errr.. tough one. My coven stuff is Wicca and most ritual magic I do will be earthbased religion stuff. I have arrived at a point where sometimes things flow over into one another, especially when I work solitary.
32. What was the most creative spell you have ever done. What did you use?
one that I do a lot: I charge a penny with a particular energy (often comes as an inspiration) and leave it in a public place. The person that is in need of it the most will pick it up.
33. What do you prefer for divination (tarot, oracle, runes, etc.) and why?
Ritual Oracle. I love surprises!
34. What are some ways you keep yourself grounded?
Become a tree, eat of drink (I’m always hungry afterwards) What also works in a group is tell dirty jokes.
35. Have you ever had a spell go horribly wrong?
36. What are your opinions on initiation rituals?
I had the privilege of undergoing quite a few in different traditions and cultures. Some I was thoroughly prepared for on what to expect, some I was completely left guessing what was to happen. The latter ones were always the ones that left the biggest impressions, but that is just me.I think that the insight of the initiators is important on how/if to prepare the initiate for what is to come. Strangely enough I would prefer to spend a lot of time preparing a candidate if I am initiating.
37. Have you ever had full contact with your deity; if so, what happened?
I’m keeping this one private
38. What about you is unwitchy?
You wouldn’t know that I am a witch if I peed on your leg. I guess only the closest people to me know that I am a witch and I feel no need to advertise it. (hence no pictures of my ugly mug or my worldly name on this blog) I think I thank my effectiveness as a witch to this 🙂
39. For the dating Witch, how do you tell a new love interest that you are a Witch?
I’m soul sexual. I never found myself attractive to someone who wasn’t spiritual in a certain way. I never had a partner that wasn’t involved with the craft one way or another
40. Who is a past Witch that has inspired you, famous or not?
Tricky, because I was well underway before I discovered there was such a thing as real witches. I have to say my grandmother (who never admitted being one), although I have to mention Biddy Early
41. How do you handle rejection from a fellow Witch that refuses to do a reading or spell for you?
Fair enough, I’ll do it myself.
42. Do you think it is necessary to cast a circle when you do spell work or any magical working?
Depends on the spell, but casting a circle is a principle that is done mentally. waving a big massive sword just helps you to get into the jest of things 🙂
43. If Steven Spielberg called and wanted to make a movie of your life, who would you want to play as you?
Definitely Ron Perlman.
44. What is some advice that was given to you that you pass along because it made an impact on your path?
Follow your heart
45. What is some advice you would give someone who has not found their deity?
Keep looking if you feel you need one
46. Where do you buy your herbs?
I don’t. PEOPLE CAN HAVE GARDENS
47. How did you feel casting your first circle (silly, scared, stumbling, etc)?
Double checking everything, going over to see all is in the right place and then suddenly realising the deity I was about to summon was already present. Yes… I felt silly…
48. What was your first successful spell?
Derailing a train (no joke, I shat myself when it happened)
49. What is your general practice for meditation?
Circular breathing (learned that playing the didgeridoo)
50. Are you a day walker or a night comer?
Is this a zombie question?
51. How and when did you know you wanted to be on this path?
My awakening was when I was 9 years old, I started the journey then. I walked many paths that led me to this path. Who knows where else the journey will take me?
52. What type of pagan are you (Wiccan, eclectic, hedge, etc)?
All and none, but if you want to label it, Wiccan will do.
53. What candle colour do you use most?
White for being the cheapest and almost any shop has them, but you might want to read I don’t like white candles
54. What area would you like to see your Craft grow in?
Simplifying my understanding of principles. Do more with less.
55. What is your preference, to buy or make your tools?
Making them or restoring them like this A ritual of conception and creation
56. What fictional Witch book/screen inspired you the most?
If you do not know who granny Weatherwax is, go shame yourself!
57. With your first spell where you alone or in a coven?
Thank the gods alone!
58. What is your favorite candle, incense scent for magical purposes?
Sage, myrrh, dragons blood (for sentimental reasons) and copal.
59. Where is your favorite place to go to reconnect with nature?
The walkway besides the Royal canal in Leixlip and also the Roman baths there (I go clean that place up)
60. Do you believe in fantasy creatures (unicorns, gnomes, elves, fairies, etc)?
Dragons, lots of dragons.
61. Do you believe in ghosts/spirits?
62. Would you ever teach the Craft?
I think I do already, very sneakily 🙂
63. What if any legal herb do you use for moods?
a nice cup of tea with maybe some snakeroot
64. What is the most recent spell/ritual you have done? (slight detail please)
A Sumerian Siptu (banishment with water)
65. Do you have a happy place you go to during meditation?
Several, depends on the mood
66. What is your favourite Witchy book?
Hmmm, I will have to go with Alice Baily “A treatise on white magic” because it was the first book worth reading I found ( back in the day when there was no internet, just musky bookshops to which one travelled 3 hours with a train just to get there)
67. Do you have a ritual to get ready before a ritual or spell? (what is it)
crack my knuckles
68. Do you always use your own spells or do you tweak others?
To be honest, even the ones I “think” I made up myself will have elements of other spells in it.
69. Do you prefer spells/ritual inside or outside?
Rituals inside. Spells I do on the fly wherever, I don’t make much of a circus out of those.
70. If you are coming from a Christian/Catholic background. Did you find the transition hard with family and the whole going to Hell thing? Basically leaving all you been told was right?
No, I was baptised because it was just the thing done and my parents never bothered with church or communions. I think both my mom and dad were cool with it, especially after my dad learned that in Scandinavia they had an afterlife with drink and women. so when he passed I asked an Asatru priest to put in a good word for him. My mom loved the idea.
71. What are your totem animals?
I got a whole zoo. I got wolf, raven, snake and loads of rats, oh, and a squirrel 🙂
72. What are some things you reuse after spells/ritual work?
73. Who helped you most when you [were] starting on your path?
74. Do you know any good Witchy phone apps (like moon phases)?
No, I will have no truck with that.
75. What is your favorite magical study?
Religions of Sumeria and Babylonia
76. Outside of the YouTube and Facebook community, do you have a lot of witchy friends in the physical world?
I would say I know 75% of my social media contacts are witchy friends
77. Do you feel that the deities we work with are a force from one higher power and that all beliefs and religions are from the same one God/place?
I do feel that much principles in beliefs and religion are the same or overlap. Since I do not know all gods and all religions I am just going to say “I don’t know with certainty”